Monday, January 24, 2011

Sticks and Stones

My cultural wires are crossed ...

On one hand, there is a political move afoot to sanitize the language of all words and phrases with potential violent overtones. We can no longer set budget "targets", speak of a quarterback's "rifle" arm, or "kill" time. To do so, would potentially set off major riots, mass murders, and lawless behavior. I'm gambling with your safety by even speaking of such things.

On the other hand, there's Rex Ryan. He seems to hate every opponent, and openly declares his desire to beat the other guys senseless. It's ESPN vs. MSNBC.

In my perfect world, it'd be nice if someone stuffed a sock in Coach Ryan's mouth, and if our elected would unapologetically "attack" the deficit with a view to "annihilate" it.

Inject a little more civility into sports and a lot more focus (on actual issues) into government!

1 comment:

TJ said...

If you have a national following, and if you run a national add placeing a gun sight over my district, and if you tell you followers, “Don’t retreat, reload,” and if another of your group talks about a “2ed Amendment Solution” to elections, then I would say yes indeed, you are putting my safety at risk. Particularly since we have, (as we all know) a sizable junk of our population that is mentally unstable - and we go to great lengths to make sure they can get their hands on assault weapons.

If, on the other hand, you say you are going to “kill” me in the next election, I would not be concerned that you hope to be taken literally.

However, in either case, IF someone should happen to put a bullet in my brain, I would hope the FBI, the cops, the Dept. of Homeland Security, SOMEONE, would at least drop by your house for a chat.