Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Son #3

Pulling up to the curb of the hospital to pick up Kim, I noticed that Tommy had followed her down. His silhouette was visible through the sheen of the sliding doors, and he was pulling the ever-present IV stand and tubes along behind him

This visual – Kim coming out and Tommy confined to the cancer ward – set off a train of thoughts which I consider my enemy: why did this happen? This isn’t fair.

But there’s another thought process which has developed over the last few months which goes something like this: no man is promised a perfect life, trials are inevitable and make us stronger, that what was meant for evil will be turned to the good, that many great things are in store for my son (all of them, really), and he will likely be in better shape than 95% of us the day he walks out of the hospital.

My heart tells me that the second thought process is the true one. I watch Tommy grow stronger every day, and realize that our hope is in the future.

No comments: