Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Doody Calls

The Post-Dispatch recently featured a human interest story about a man who found $50 in some dog poop. He was a professional cleaner of pet wastes from yards, and spotted some cash poking out from a pile of poop.

He was lauded, rightfully so, for returning the money when he could have so easily scooped it up. My interest wasn't so much in the display of integrity or even how the bank was called upon to "restore" the bills (two 20s and a 10). My interest was in the man's job history.

He was formerly employed as a software engineer, and here he is in his 50s, cleaning pet waste. So you're thinking that I'm thinking "but for the grace of God go I".

Not at all.

I'm thinking I admire a person who does his best at whatever he does, no matter how the world values (or does not value) the position. It's great to have examples of people who stand up and do their best.

In the end, such efforts carry a large reward.

No comments: