Saturday, August 6, 2011

Walk Hard (Maroon Bells Hike)

Five of us embarked on a backpacking trip last week, and two facts emerged: (1) it was astoundingly beautiful, and (2) it almost did me in.

The setting was the Maroon Bells mountains outside of Aspen, Colorado. The trail, called the Four-Pass Trail, consists of summiting four passes over 12,500 feet in elevation.

My first problem? Apparently, I get violently sick when carrying a pack anywhere over 11,000 feet.

My second problem? Thinking it would go away, and then finding myself away from civilization by two mountain passes!

My third problem? Feeling so bad I neglected to apply sunblock.

But despite these mistakes, we're back and have the pictures to show for it. I'll post a few photos below, but the rest will come next week.

The beginning ... the Bells behind Maroon Lake ...

Greg at Crater Lake ...


Three of the crew (Greg, Stan, and Mike) hiking toward the first night's campsite ...


Alpen-glow lighting up the evening at the first campsite ...



More to come ...

No comments: