Monday, August 1, 2011

Life Lessons from Basketball

As a teenager, my parents suggested that because of my height, I should at least consider playing basketball. Perhaps it would bring me friends and fame. At the time, my preference was riding bikes, digging around in the nearby woods, and generally pursuing a life free of stress and challenge.

My so-called basketball "career" began in 7th grade and ended in my sophomore year of college. It was defintely fun as these activities go for young people, but I never minimize the my personal experience with basketball as a juvenile activity, because that time is valued for several life lessons it imparted to me.

My interaction with the game in 7th-8th grade was a clumsy, part-time affair. I barely understood the rules, and had only shot a few baskets in the yard with zero competitive experience. Fouling out of most games with maybe one basket to my credit was my lot in life, and there were many embarassing moments.

Life lessons: Get into the game! Only hands-on experience will bring competence. And don't give up when the initial results are disappointing.

The first two years in high school were a complete and happy reversal. With camps, summer leagues, full-time coaching, and long hours of practice, success came. Over those two years, our team won 33 of 37 games, and my confidence as a player grew as did my stats with double-figure averages in both rebounding and scoring.

Life lessons: A team-oriented approach works best and one cannot fail to give their best in playing their part. Bench strength is critical. Hard work is needed, yes, but so is skill development, and both will fall short without strong will.


The last two years of high school fell short of expectations (see #51 in the above photo). Team chemistry deteriorated, our new coach's approach was different, some of the younger players never developed as anticipated, and my own life had new diversions. We still won some great games, but the losses were there in equal number.

Life lessons: There is always someone better than you, and there's always someone worse. Talk of "fairness" and "equal results" robs one of a great gift in life, i.e. the freedom to compete and taste hard-won victory. It's better to taste self-made wins and losses, than to be guaranteed mediocrity. Also: early success does not guarantee ongoing success.

In basketball, or any other venue of life, improvement is continual. One should not think of themselves as they are, but as they have the capability to be. I think that's how God thinks of us, too.

No comments: