Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Health Care Math


According to my actual paystub, I'm paying $1200/month for Medicare (a plan I don't use) and $69/month for a private plan (which is actively used). That's right: it's costing me 17 times more for an unused public product than for a highly used private plan!

Say it with me: Ouch!

I don't begrudge our social responsibilities to support citizens as they age. Look at the grayness of my scalp. But I do get tired of politicians simplistically equating Medicare cost reduction to the abandonment of our social responsibilities. Shouldn't we always be seeking to simultaneously improve the product and reduce cost?

In my mind, we should deliver BETTER health insurance to seniors, but it should cost MUCH LESS.

That's why the public options are to be avoided by anyone with an interest in excellence and efficiency.

No comments: