Friday, December 3, 2010

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

There are many movies which, while not cinematic masterpieces, I can watch over and over again. Raising Arizona and Christmas Story are two which spring to mind.

While flipping channels the other day, I stumbled across another which draws my attention every time it's stumbled across: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslett, it's a study of what happens when two people in a relationship each have their memories of one another erased. A sci-fi chick flick, if you will.

The title is derived from prose by Alexander Pope:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd

The movie is rated 8.5 (of 10) by IMDB. It's interesting that a flick about memories can be so memorable.

1 comment:

The Moose said...

I've had this movie on my Netflix list for a long time, but it's gradually been pushed down the queue. I'm moving it up based on your recommendation.