Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Candidates

Now that the 2010 midterms are over, positioning for 2012 will heat up. Unless there are surprises, the leading candidates will be Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, and a number of other candidates who will more likely be building a case for future consideration.

Here's my handicapping of the field:

Sarah Palin ... The idea of a citizen-leader is pure American, so I get tired of the press continually downgrading Palin's ability. The fact that she's NOT a professional lawyer-politician should count for something. However, I'm tired of the drama, and frankly, she could have done much better in those debates with Biden. Her combativeness often loses context and seems to become personal. I admire Sarah Palin, but she's not my candidate of choice ...



Newt Gingrich ... I've always liked his directness and clarity, and if nominated, he'd be someone you could support. But I have a problem with these Congressmen-turned-candidate-for-chief-executive-office types. They're unproven in even a basic management/leadership role, and I'd rather see a governor or private leader in charge. Newt's had 20 years to sharpen these credentials, and has not. Again, not my candidate of choice ...



Mike Huckabee ... He's a likeable guy with the leadership pedigree, but I don't think he's the best the country has to offer. I thought his run in 2008 showed brilliance at times, but seemed unfocused for long periods. He, too, has not done enough to raise his profile the last few years. Not good enough, and not my candidate of choice ...





Mitt Romney ... I've never been a huge fan of Mitt Romney, but the facts are clear. He has executive experience, and his areas of specialty are (1) the economy, and (2) health care. We could use someone knowledgeable in those areas. So, if Romney can elevate his game, make nice with the conservatives, and effectively develop a focused message, he's my candidate for the moment.

I confess, however, that if the Republicans put up Bugs Bunny with Elmer Fudd as his running mate, one would be tempted to support them solely to remove the current adminstration. All they would need to do is adopt the slogan "Change Things Back!".

3 comments:

The Moose said...

Romney's healthcare experience was to provide a state-funded, single-payer system to the citizens of Massachusetts which is already starting to collapse under its own weight. My choice for a non-apologetic communicator in the style of Reagan is NJ Governor Chris Christie.

Chris Rennier said...

The moose is right. Romney hasn't proven to be a true conservative even if he is an actual smart businessman. I would advocate John Thune, Tim Pawlenty, or Mitch Daniels.

Andrew said...

I'm with Chris on John Thune, I thought for a while that he was going to get the VP nod with John McCain.