Friday, January 29, 2010

Starbucks Memories

I developed a taste for lattes about five years ago and it's blossomed into a caramel-machciato-a-day habit. Many coffee shops have served my addiction, but Starbucks is the barista of choice. There are so many of them!

Per my usual penchant for counting things, I recently recalled about 70 different Starbucks locations which I had visited. These covered 17 states (and Austria). I feel I've forgotten several and the list should be longer.

It starts in St. Charles County, where I've been seen in all seven stores (2 in the city, 2 in St. Peters, and Weldon Spring, O'Fallon, and Wentzville). These guys see me coming and have my drink ready! The other day, I overhead a man tell a retiree that his particular Volswagon model was one of four made, and worth a fortune.

There are 10 locations in St. Louis which I've frequented. The downtown location often became my remote office.

Venice Beach is a favorite location of mine (right), and easily wins the "most oddball characters" award. Also, the "closest to the ocean" award. Working here while enjoying the free wi-fi (for AT&T broadband customers) can be very interesting.

Once, I walked out of a particulary frustrating meeting in San Antonio, looked out the window (it was on the 11th floor) and spied a Starbucks on the Riverwalk a half-mile away. Of course, I went AWOL and enjoyed the recuperative powers of an afternoon latte on the Riverwalk!

Catherine and I thoroughly enjoyed our Starbucks experiences in Dennis and Boston. She becomes very thoughtful and reflective in a coffee shop setting, and she's fond of the "cake".

A Starbucks in Chicago was handy for a quick pit stop during one of Tommy's marathons there. Both the coffee (which I consumed while riding a bike) and the bathroom were welcome benefits.

The Starbucks in Mystic, Connecticutt (right), is a great stopping point on the way to Cape Cod, and offers some nice local sites to visit.

I've been to locations in Carson City (following a trip to Yosemite), North Carolina, New Jersey, Maine, Arizona, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York (another favorite), Colorado, Massachusetts, New Mexico, Texas, and the aforementioned location in Vienna, Austria (a two-story building with more people wearing black than anywhere else).

I'll say this: there has never been a bad visit to a Starbucks.

If Kim should post a comment regarding the financial cost of this addiction, please ignore her. She has no idea what she's missing.

3 comments:

TJ said...

And I thought I traveled a lot!

Chris Rennier said...

you should go to the starbucks on the corner of Sunset Blvd. & Gower Ave. I'm sure the bums will like you to buy them some cake too. mmmmmm,

Andrew said...

I have to say the "Cows End" basically next door to the Starbucks in Venice is my favorite coffeeshop in LA. I'm also a sucker for the local coffeeshop though.