Monday, January 4, 2010

A Fair Deal

My system for ensuring a fair deal on a purchase is simple. I look at the product first without the price, and formulate a valuation in my mind. "I would pay $60 for this lamp, how much is it? ... $90? ... Too bad." Of course, this is all silent (or maybe to Kim only), for if the lamp is only $40, we'd happily purchase at that price!

Now pretend like you keep all of the salary you earn. Have you ever thought about how you'd be willing to pay for common services such as roads, defense, schools, and safety-net social programs? Personally, I'd be willing to work one day a week for these common services, no more. I think working one-day-a-week for larger societal efforts is a generous contribution.

So how much am I paying? If you add all forced taxation (there's no nicer way to say it) - federal income, state income, property taxes, real estate taxes, sales taxes, etc - I work 2.5 days a week for government spending and 2.5 days a week for me. In my valuation system, that's way too much!

It's too easy for bureaucrats to spend the dollars of others. Think about the way health care is being designed. If Congress designed auto insurance the same way (let's hope they don't), then we'd need to contribute to a pool for oil changes and tire rotations!

In short, our representatives desire too much central planning powers, and we pay for it. The loss of those private dollars is not without consequence as it drains the economy. No wonder jobs are leaving the US at an alarming rate. Less government "help", not more, is what's needed.

1 comment:

The Moose said...

Time you ran for office!