Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Like Riding a Bike

As a kid growing up in the 60's (such an innocent time in America!), our daily pastimes varied greatly from what I observe of kids today. We threw dirt clods at one another, pushed toy metal trucks through elaborately constructed towns of dirt, built forts made of sticks, shot toy guns at one another, and played long lazy games of sandlot baseball.

But one pastime has stuck with me through six decades now: riding a bicycle. Interestingly enough, my first bike was the same size as the bike I ride today. My parents were big believers in buying things big to allow me "to grow into them". Mounting my first bike required leaning it against a fence, climbing the fence, transferring to the seat, pushing off, and hoping for the best. Dismounts were essentially a controlled wreck.

Last weekend, I sold my Trek hybrid (a bike which transported me across the state once) ...


... and dragged my 20-year old road bike out of storage.


My aim is to fix it up, ride it as long as it pleases me, and eventually sell it in favor of a new bike. Two bikes for one.

Loyalty runs deep, however, so it could be a while! The old bike is still light and fast, and fits me perfectly. Some habits die hard.

No comments: