Friday, April 22, 2011

Mystery Music


Here are five songs which I don't understand, but enjoy anyway:
  1. I Am the Walrus (The Beatles) ... I suspect drugs have something to do with this (see below) ...

  2. American Pie (Don McClean) ... a Chevy, and levee, and lots of interesting things.

  3. Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) ... great music, whatever it means!

  4. The Jack of Hearts (Bob Dylan) ... what's going on with Jack, and Jim, and Lily?

  5. A Horse with No Name (America) ... why don't they just give it a name?

For example, here are the opening lines to I Am the Walrus:


I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying. Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come. Corporation tee-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday. Man, you been a naughty boy, you let your face grow long. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen. I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.

1 comment:

Chris Rennier said...

I suspect songs like 'i am the walrus' are just word play. Word associations with a loose meaning in the writers (Lennons) mind.