Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Marriage: The Final Frontier

My brain doesn't work per specs, and often blends various parallel lines of thinking together.

For example ...

The other day, some action by Kim once again challenged my logic circuits, and set me to thinking about the wonders and mysteries of married life. At the time, I was busily trying to find a Star Trek DVD. The two thought threads suddenly merged, and set me to pondering how the Star Trek crew would handle the task of marriage counseling. That's a normal question, right? After all, they lived in an advanced era in which alien relationships were a fact of life.

One by one, I considered the possibilities ...

Kirk? He was unmarried and passionate. Once, he kissed Uhura. On another occassion, he fell for an alien life form. And ... he talked! ... like ... this! Granted, he was an insightful leader and much admired across the galaxy, but Kirk would not be an effective marriage counseler.

Spock? He was logical in the extreme. However, he lacked emotion, and who could sit in an office and converse straight-faced with a man with pointed ears? Believe me, I've tried the logical approach in marriage, and it does not work. I don't know why not. Live long and prosper, Spock, but until you develop an emotional attachment to some female species, you're no good to me.

Then it hit me like a dilithium crystal explosion ...

Scotty! Here's a guy who labored selflessly in the bowels of the ship, seemingly patching the engine together when it was almost falling apart. His I'll-see-what-I-can-do-captain-but-I-can't-promise-anything attitude was priceless. Through ingenuity and sheer pluck, Scotty kept the USS Enterprise hurtling through deep space at dizzying speeds, though he struggled mightily keeping the ship's shields at full strength. His gift? Improvisation.

Scotty would make a great marriage counseler.

That solved, I turned to other pressing problems in my world ...

1 comment: