Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dickeyville, Wisconsin

Dickeyville, Wisconsin is on the map because of a five-year do-it-youself project undertaken by a Catholic priest in 1925. Fr. Matthias Wernerus spent five years of his free time building a garden made primarily of concrete, tile, shells, and colorful stone to create the Dickeyville Grotto. It is dedicated to "love of God, love of country".




I stumbled across this site because Kim and I were recently in Dubuque, Iowa, and I couldn't resist crossing the Mississippi River into Wisconsin to find a geocache in that state.

Sometimes your GPS navigates you to some interesting places. This was cache find #373 (in 27 different states for me).

At the end of our trip, I discovered too late about a local farm featured in a famous 1988 movie about baseball. Had I known sooner, the post would be entitled "Field of Dreams" rather than "Dickeyville Wisconsin".

No comments: