Monday, April 26, 2010

Not So Empty

Kim and I have been empty-nesters for a few years now, and the house is slowly losing all signs of having once hosted a growing brood of energetic young men. So I went searching for evidence that the place had once been the address for three boys named Chris, Mike, and Tommy.

There's the venerable basketball hoop, site of innumerable games of "21":


I found this odd-shaped hole in the garage driveway, the result of someone practicing their slap shot:


My workshop still boasts an area in which the boys constantly checked their heights (the marls and dates still visible):


There are baseball card collections tucked away in several places ...


... and toys resting in the basement:


Sports equipment can be found in several spots ...


... and remnants of past victories still grace some rooms.


It seems the sounds of a family can echo throughout a home for years.

2 comments:

Jena said...

Love this post!

Anonymous said...

I know sorta how you feel. Ali keeps us busy with all the sports so I can't get rid of it or pack it away. The next four years will fly by and before you know it we'll be having a grad. party for her! She has 12 and 1/2 days until she is a freshman. I don't know who is more worn out with the count down........me or her? WoW
Cheri