Friday, April 16, 2010

He's Big

I'm a big fan of the 1990 movie, Joe vs. the Volcano. Without doing the research, I believe it's the first of three movies featuring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan (the other two being Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail).


Joe vs. the Volcano was a box office flop, but is recognized today as a cult classic.


My dedication to it is largely based on one climatic and beautiful scene. Joe is adrift in the ocean after a bad storm sinks their sailboat. He is near death from lack of water and has been suffering from a terminal disease.

Suddenly, the moon rises, and the sight is so overpowering and awesome that Joe struggles to his feet, raises his hands, and declares: "Thank you for my life, God ... I forgot how big You are."



When we see the splendor of nature, we should remember Joe's words, no matter what our circumstances are ...

1 comment:

The Moose said...

I've never seen this movie. I've put it in my Netflix queue.