Friday, November 19, 2010

A Long Story

I've read War and Peace twice, and it doesn't come close to my recent literary experiences ...

The saga begins in Cape Cod. This spring, we were combing through the store at the local dump, and I picked up a copy of Winds of War by Herman Wouk. Price: free!

The book recounted the story of a fictional military family, the Henrys, during World War II. The historical details and insight are extensive, and as far as I can tell, wholly accurate. It was almost a thousand pages in length, and took me over a month to read. Worse, somewhere around page 800, I realized the story had barely progressed through a third of the war yet. That's when I learned about a second book, War and Remembrance, which constitute the continuation of the story!

I now find myself engrossed in a second 1000-page tome. No complaints, however, as the story is excellent, very interesting to me, and much exercise is derived from carrying the "project" everywhere.

The only problem: it may take me longer to read these books than it took the world to struugle through WWII the first time!

No comments: